incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Airavata 0.4-Incubating RC1
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:46:17 GMT
Hi All,

The VOTE is called for a lazy consensus and is close to 72 hours. Just in case if there are
any further comments, I will leave the vote open for 6 more hours. If you have any concerns
or comments with this release please voice your opinions and vote now.

Thanks,
Suresh

On Jul 31, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

> Suresh,
>
> I am not a lawyer, and cannot yet decide if any of issues is serious
> enough. Let mentors decide.
>
> I'm glad to see that you have cleaned the trunk.
>
> --
> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> http://dataved.ru/
> +7 916 562 8095
>

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Alexei,
>>
>> Thank you for taking time to review the release. Please see comments below:
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Suresh,
>>> hope the following questions could make the release better.
>>>
>>> 1. Why root NOTICE and LICENSE files are nearly empty, while the files at
>>> modules/distribution/src/main/resources contain all required info on
>>> licenses? Why not to move files to the root?
>>
>> The root NOTICE & LICENSE are for source code and the ones in modules/distribution/src/main/resources
are for binary release. Since the source code does not have any third party codes, you will
see it have only APL V2 where as the binary ones include all L&D of all the bundled jars.

>>> 2. I have noticed import com.sun.tools.doclets.internal.toolkit.MethodWriter
at
>>> modules/ws-messenger/samples/messagebroker/wse-multiple-producers-consumers/src/org/apache/airavata/wsmg/samples/wse/Consumer.java
>>>
>>> MethodWriter license seems to be GPL, see below. If the link below is
>>> correct, we get linking to GPL code.
>>> http://grepcode.com/file/repository.grepcode.com/java/root/jdk/openjdk/7-b147/com/sun/tools/doclets/internal/toolkit/MethodWriter.java?av=h
>>>
>>> It seems the class is not used anyway. Why not to remove it?
>>
>> Thanks for this catch, too bad to have this unused import linger through in a stale
sample code. Since it was an unused import and it was not linked to any code, is it a blocker
for the release?, I removed it in the trunk though (r1367537).

>>> 3. I  wonder if the parts of work
>>> (modules/xbaya-gui/src/main/java/org/apache/airavata/xbaya/ui/graph/system/DifferedInputNodeGUI.java)
>>> containing APL along with Indiana University Extreme! Lab Software
>>> License can be just licensed under Apache License in the release (for
>>> usage simplicity). The initial authors seem to be the same as Apache
>>> committers.
>>
>> Yes your assertion is right, during incubation the IP was donated from Indiana University
to Apache and headers were properly replaced. Tracking back on the file you pointed out (and
couple of others) were added to the trunk from donation area and added the APL header but
a legacy snipped was left out at the bottom of the files, I removed them now. The RAT check
passes on all the code since all java have APL headers and probably ignored these stale snippets
at the bottom.

>> Appreciate your attention to detail. Do you think we should call a new RC or 2 and
3 are non-blockers for the release?