incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:28:03 GMT
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me add one more point on adding dependencies to source releases.
> In addition to license, the dependence contain copyright statements,
> e.g. "# Copyright (C)  2005 Christopher Lenz <cmlenz@gmx.de>".
>
> As mentioned here http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>> If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it, the copyright
owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>> remove such notices, or
>> move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project release, or
>> provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or relocation of the
notices.

> This issue cannot be fixed by merging licenses into LICENSE file.

No, this is not what that source headers page is talking about. That
page is talking about any copyright statements that may have been in
source files when contributed to the ASF, here we are talking about
the licenses of any external dependencies that are included in a
release, and those licenses should be added to the LICENSE file, as
described at: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses

   ...ant