incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 18:38:05 GMT
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Greg Stein <> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM, ant elder <> wrote:
>> This looks similar to the Syncope release vote thats also happening
>> right now in that the source distribution includes things like JQuery
>> but doesn't mention that in the LICENSE file. I'm a bit surprised
>> people are continuing to vote +1 on the Syncope release knowing that
>> so am I getting this wrong and the JQuery license doesn't need to be
>> included here for some reason?
> My feeling on the matter here is that these are incubating projects.
> We allow things like (L)GPL dependencies in the releases, as long as a
> PLAN exists to get rid of them. Of course, it must be perfectly clean
> to graduate. But I believe we have wiggle room while incubating.
> As Branko noted, the included projects are mentioned in the NOTICE
> file, but that isn't quite Right. The 0.2.0 release will get it
> corrected.
> We could have stepped back and rolled another tarball, but I believe
> it is more important for Bloodhound to get a release out [than to be
> perfect on 0.1.0], in order to get some traction and some attraction
> to build a larger community. The BH folks plan to release every few
> weeks, so we should see the corrections in a release at the end of the
> month. (or we could convince Gary to do another in a week or two :-)
> Cheers,
> -g

Gosh i'm pretty sure we _don't_ allow things like (L)GPL dependencies
in Incubator releases, we allow them in the source in SVN but i don't
recall any releases like that.

Anyway thats beside the point, ok so lets have this be a precedent
that sets Incubator policy - we now have some wiggle room while
incubating to do a release that violates ASF release policy as long as
it will be fixed soon in another release and definitely before
graduating. A policy like that would help a lot with avoiding the
numerous respins some poddling releases are made to do during voting
on general@.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message