incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenOffice Community Graduation Vote
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:35:38 GMT
On 27.08.2012 13:10, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2012 6:15 AM, "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm jumping in late to this discussion after returning from vacation.
>> To summarize my understanding:
>>
>> * As Joe says, there's no problem with current OpenOffice releases.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> * The project is looking for ways to produce "blessed binaries" as a
>> part of future releases, and has been working with the relevant
>> parties (infra, legal, etc.) on the implications.
>
> I have not seen this, especially in regards to this thread. Argument is
> occurring on this list instead.
>
>> * I trust that the project is capable of continuing that work and
>> abiding with whatever conclusion also as after graduation.
>
> Fair enough, but I do not share that trust. I fear the project claiming
> unique difference, and damaging the Foundation, rather than an
> understanding of how we can solve our mission together. I believe AOO has
> unique characteristics and that the ASF needs to adapt, but I do not
> believe the community cares to properly see through those changes.

It makes me sad that you think this way.  I am part of the community and
I do care about changes that will make AOO a well accepted TLP of the
ASF.  I am working very hard towards this goal and most of my work
consists of exactly these changes.  Things like downloading of external
libraries and extensions, removing code that depends on external
libraries with incompatible licenses, cleaning up code that depends on
category-B licensed libraries or integrating the rat scan into the
regular AOO build process.

I am a software developer, not a lawyer.  In order to make the
appropriate code changes I need very clear guidelines of what is in
policy and what is not.  When it comes to coding there is no room for
contradictory interpretations or unprecise wording. The clearer and more
explicitly stated the ASF policies are the better I can clean-up and
improve our code.

 > I see
 > self-righteous bullying instead.

I don't.  But maybe I got desensitized by a twelve year long exposition
to feedback from end-users in mailing lists, forums, and bug comments,
often enough in non too friendly words in all-uppercase letters.

> The ASF and the people that make us what we are, are not perfect. We don't
> know everything. But we *do* deserve consideration to make things Right.
> AOO is an awesome opportunity or us all, and we should do what we can for
> their success. It must happen with an old, and with a new, community
> working together.

Thanks.  The same is true in the other direction.

-Andre