incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenOffice Community Graduation Vote
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:26:38 GMT
On 26.08.2012 13:15, Tim Williams wrote:
> Marvin gave the link earlier in this thread. 4th para is the relevant bit.
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

The relevant part is in the last paragraph. However, that says
"convenience" and defines version numbering requirements, but it does
/not/ state that the binaries are not sanctioned by the ASF and are not
part of the official ASF release.

It would be very useful if that paragraph were amended to say so
explicitly. I've had no end of trouble trying to explain to managers and
customers that any binaries that come from the ASF are not "official".
Regardless of the policy stated numerous times in this thread and on
this list, this is not clear anywhere in the bylaws or other online
documentation (that I can find).

-- Brane

P.S.: I asked this same question on legal-discuss a week ago. My post
has not even been moderated through as of today, so referring people to
that list doesn't appear to be too helpful.