incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Airavata 0.4-Incubating RC1
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:35:43 GMT
Hi Suresh,

I looked at the two issues raised and IMO these do not pose as blockers for this
release, so +1 from me on this release candidate (binding and Mentor)

More feedback below.

Regards, Ate

On 08/01/2012 03:46 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The VOTE is called for a lazy consensus and is close to 72 hours. Just in case if there
are any further comments, I will leave the vote open for 6 more hours. If you have any concerns
or comments with this release please voice your opinions and vote now.

> Thanks,
> Suresh
>
> On Jul 31, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>
>> Suresh,
>>
>> I am not a lawyer, and cannot yet decide if any of issues is serious
>> enough. Let mentors decide.
>>
>> I'm glad to see that you have cleaned the trunk.
>>
>> --
>> With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
>> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
>> http://dataved.ru/
>> +7 916 562 8095
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Alexei,
>>>
>>> Thank you for taking time to review the release. Please see comments below:

>>> The root NOTICE & LICENSE are for source code and the ones in modules/distribution/src/main/resources
are for binary release. Since the source code does not have any third party codes, you will
see it have only APL V2 where as the binary ones include all L&D of all the bundled jars.

>>> Thanks for this catch, too bad to have this unused import linger through in a
stale sample code. Since it was an unused import and it was not linked to any code, is it
a blocker for the release?, I removed it in the trunk though (r1367537).

While an annoyance I wouldn't call this 'linking' to GPL code. It only means
you'll need a Sun JDK to compile the project, but most likely you don't even
need it at runtime if the compiler is smart enough to drop this unused import.

At any rate this really is only a mistake without intended GPL linking nor any
actual usage. And fixed already. So, really not an issue at all IMO.

>>> Yes your assertion is right, during incubation the IP was donated from Indiana
University to Apache and headers were properly replaced. Tracking back on the file you pointed
out (and couple of others) were added to the trunk from donation area and added the APL header
but a legacy snipped was left out at the bottom of the files, I removed them now. The RAT
check passes on all the code since all java have APL headers and probably ignored these stale
snippets at the bottom.

Same thing here. The appropriate license header was already in place, the old
one at the bottom doesn't 'negate' the one on top. It wasn't a problem to begin
with, even less so now after fixing it in trunk.

>>> Appreciate your attention to detail. Do you think we should call a new RC or
2 and 3 are non-blockers for the release?