incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kasper Sørensen <kasper.soren...@HumanInference.com>
Subject RE: Potential proposal + request volunteers for champion & mentor roles
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:28:25 GMT
Hi Lewis,

Thank you for your reply. Interested in what the Gora team would think of a project like MetaModel.

I'm not an expert on Gora, but I did check out the project website and peeked at the code.
Looks like there might be some use-cases for MetaModel there. For example, I see that you
are doing quite some String-based query building logic in the gora-sql module, and I think
that could benefit from an first-class querying API like MetaModel.

Currently MetaModel does not have support for a lot of the datastores that are mentioned on
the website (like Hbase, Cassandra, Redis) but maybe we can add adaptors for those in MetaModel
at some stage.

Regards,
Kasper

-----Original Message-----
From: Lewis John Mcgibbney [mailto:lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com]
Sent: 10. august 2012 00:19
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Potential proposal + request volunteers for champion & mentor roles

Hi Kasper, All,

Initially this looks very interesting.
I'm going to bring this thread to the attention of the Apache Gora
community as one of the issues we are currently working on relates
closely to uniform access and operations across datastore modules
within Gora.

I wonder if you would like to check out Gora [0] and provide some
insight into where/if you think MetaModel could be used. This 'may' be
a possible route into the ASF or alternatively may attract interest to
begin other work as a podling within the Incubator.

Thanks in advance
Best
Lewis
[0] http://gora.apache.org

available here: http://metamodel.eobjects.org

> Very short description of the project FYI: MetaModel is as Java library built to provide
uniform access to many different types of data, including databases, CSV files, Excel spreadsheet
etc. etc. MetaModel is not an ORM since it does not provide a means to map to a concrete model,
but it provides the meta model of your data: Schema, Tables, Columns etc. And it allows querying
and writing data type-safely using these metadata elements.

> In the process of contributing, obviously we would re-license it from the current (LGPL)
license to the Apache2 license.

> Regards,
> Kasper Sørensen

Lewis