incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Potential proposal + request volunteers for champion & mentor roles
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:09:14 GMT
Hi,

I can see this project being useful in a number of ways. It is a very common pattern that
data needs to be put in and out of some combination of spreadsheets, text files and databases.

I'm totally willing to be a Mentor for this podling proposal. It fits well with my participation
in POI, OpenOffice, ODF Toolkit, and Flex along with use of Tomcat, PDFBox and Lucene/Solr.

I can also see how Gora might want to use MetaModel as well as MetaModel having a Gora interface.

Regards,
Dave

On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Hi Kasper, All,
>
> Initially this looks very interesting.
> I'm going to bring this thread to the attention of the Apache Gora
> community as one of the issues we are currently working on relates
> closely to uniform access and operations across datastore modules
> within Gora.
>
> I wonder if you would like to check out Gora [0] and provide some
> insight into where/if you think MetaModel could be used. This 'may' be
> a possible route into the ASF or alternatively may attract interest to
> begin other work as a podling within the Incubator.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Best
> Lewis
> [0] http://gora.apache.org
>
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Kasper Sørensen
> <kasper.sorensen@humaninference.com> wrote:
>> Dear everyone,
>>
>> I am writing to ask for interested champions to aid Human Inference in an Apache
Incubator proposal.

currently available here: http://metamodel.eobjects.org

>> Very short description of the project FYI: MetaModel is as Java library built to
provide uniform access to many different types of data, including databases, CSV files, Excel
spreadsheet etc. etc. MetaModel is not an ORM since it does not provide a means to map to
a concrete model, but it provides the meta model of your data: Schema, Tables, Columns etc.
And it allows querying and writing data type-safely using these metadata elements.

>> In the process of contributing, obviously we would re-license it from the current
(LGPL) license to the Apache2 license.