incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Incubation Status - Project Name Clearance
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 04:34:41 GMT
The following item on project status pages needs to be updated:

"Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and check www.nameprotect.com
to be sure that the name is not already trademarked for an existing software product."

(1) www.nameprotect.com has not been free for quite awhile. I'll bring it up on general@i.a.o.
Does trademarks have any guidance?
(2) Work was done around a podling name search process.

I asked trademarks about this, and am forwarding the following with permission from Shane:

On Jul 10, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> However the Incubator docs should need to be updated.  The fundamental point is that
you do some sort of due dilligence in checking the name to be sure that:

> - The podling's base name is not infringing on any pre-existing potentially related software
product.  As a public charity, the ASF has no business trying to butt in on anyone else's
existing name being used in good faith.

> - The podling understands if there are any similar (but not directly infringing) trademarks
related to the name, or that if the base name is a generic word, that the podling will need
to be very careful to always brand themselves as Apache Foo (to ensure that we can protect
the full name, even if we couldn't protect just the Foo part if it's a generic term or the
like).

> I'd suggest adding the USPTO TESS search system and/or trademarkia.com as search engines.

So, how should the project status check text be changed?

Regards,
Dave