incubator-general mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Celix: A Shepherd's View
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:18:20 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Franklin, Matthew B.
> <mfranklin@mitre.org> wrote:
>> 1) I would recommend trying to accelerate release plans.
>
> Agreed. Is there something in particular that's blocking a release?

We recently updated the build system, to be able to only build parts
of Apache Celix and therefore reduce the number of library
dependencies, there is still some work to be done here. This is not
much and we should be able to do this in the coming days. After that
we are IMO ready for a first release.

>> It takes a lot of work up front, but cutting releases is a critical part of incubation.
>
> It's not necessarily even that much work if you're already through IP
> clearance, which I believe Celix to be since that's not mentioned in
> the report.
>
> Once the IP issues and things like source headers are taken care of,
> cutting a release can be as simple as:
>
>     1) tag the latest trunk
>     2) export and package the tag
>     3) checksum and sign the exported package
>     4) conduct the release vote
>     5) ship it!
>
> If you're worried about stability of the released codebase, simply
> mark the release as unstable (for example with a 0.x version number)
> to better manage expectations.

I think we were focusing to much on a stable and feature complete
release. We are now planning
to do a 0.0.1 release and take things from there.

Greetings,
Pepijn