incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Celix: A Shepherd's View
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:20:36 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Franklin, Matthew B.
<mfranklin@mitre.org> wrote:
> 1) I would recommend trying to accelerate release plans.

Agreed. Is there something in particular that's blocking a release?

> It takes a lot of work up front, but cutting releases is a critical part of incubation.

It's not necessarily even that much work if you're already through IP
clearance, which I believe Celix to be since that's not mentioned in
the report.

Once the IP issues and things like source headers are taken care of,
cutting a release can be as simple as:

    1) tag the latest trunk
    2) export and package the tag
    3) checksum and sign the exported package
    4) conduct the release vote
    5) ship it!

If you're worried about stability of the released codebase, simply
mark the release as unstable (for example with a 0.x version number)
to better manage expectations.

BR,

Jukka Zitting