incubator-general mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <>
Subject Re: Universal release docs
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:47:06 GMT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Marvin Humphrey <>wrote:

> Greets,
> The ASF is technology-neutral:
>   It must be noted that the incubator (just like the board) does not
> perform
>   filtering on the basis of technical issues. This is because the
> foundation
>   respects and suggests variety of technical approaches.
> However, the Incubator's primary release documentation page,
> <>, is rife with
> technology-specific detail.
> The Incubator has plenty of universal concerns regarding release signing,
> license headers, distribution, and so on -- which together are more than
> enough to cover in one document.  Adding content specific to N individual
> programming languages or M downstream distribution channels on a single
> shared
> page does not scale.

Are you suggesting to remove things specific to java/jar packaging and/or
distributions specific things like maven details ?

> I propose that releasemanagement.html be reserved for information which is
> common to all podlings.
> Concretely, I suggest that we establish new pages to offload
> technology-specific passages from releasemanagement.html, starting with
> programming-language-specific pages as needed at
> <{LANG_NAME}.html>.  The URL is an
> implementation detail, but IMO it is important that we maintain dedicated
> outlets for technology-specific contributions, as otherwise our primary
> page
> will quickly return to its current unmanageable size.
I believe some of these info is important, and we should at least have a
direct link to the extra pages that you are proposing, otherwise new
podlings might just forget about those pieces.

> Marvin Humphrey
Luciano Resende