incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shepherd for EasyAnt
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 16:14:42 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

Ant.

>>> This may be EasyAnt's goal, I'm not entirely sure it matches Ant's goal.
>>>
>>> At one point in time every project entering incubation had to be
>>> sponsored by an existing TLP or the board and it didn't imply the
>>> podling would graduate to the existing TLP at all.  The "you need a
>>> sponsoring TLP" notion seems to have gone now.  By the time EasyAnt
>>> entered incubation Ant became the sponsoring TLP so there was one, not
>>> because Ant was comitted to accept it as a sub-project IIRC.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying Ant would reject it, but it is not a no-brainer either.
>>> This part of the discussion should be held on dev@ant 8-)
>>
>> I guess I'm the one who just misunderstood the Ant sponsoring thing.
>> Let's to it properly yes. Let's start asking to EasyAnt dev first.
>
> Since Apache Ivy and Apache IvyDE are sub-projects of Apache Ant there is some sense
in EasyAnt having a place in the Apache Ant project. I see that dev@ant did VOTE for sponsorship
on a thread that you started [1], but I did not see a lot of discussion about what made sense
to the Apache Ant community.

> A few months earlier you pushed for the donation of Bushel into Ivy [2] which was done.
>
> I see that EasyAnt has an old Google Group ML and this thread describes the process from
the EasyAnt community's perspective. [3]

> There is mention of Apache Ivy in the incubator four years prior, and we know it ended
up within the Apache Ant project.

Surely you're not suggesting that because Ant has *once* (A) sponsored
a podling's incubation and (B) subsequently adopted that podling as a
subproject that it is bound to do B for *every* A?

Matt