incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ahmed Fathalla <>
Subject Re: Shepherding: chukwa, mesos, directmemory
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:11:47 GMT
As the most recent person added as a Chukwa committer I think we should
give the project a chance.

I think Chukwa has suffered from a lack of interest in the Hadoop
community, maybe adding more committers would help. I think we need people
who would write articles about Chukwa in technical publications more than
we need people who code.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Jukka Zitting <>wrote:

> Hi,
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <>
> wrote:
> > So the idea is to give the contributors committership and hope things
> take off?
> Seems like a good idea to me, especially if Chukwa hasn't tried doing
> that before.
> > Eric does want to make one more release. Maybe that will churn some
> enthusiasm.
> > Eric is very tenacious about keeping it open and he is very timely with
> the mailing
> > list discussions and submitted patches.
> Not sure if it's the case here (I don't follow Chukwa in detail), but
> I know some projects where a highly active lead developer has actually
> held back the community even though he had all the best intentions in
> mind. Instead of directly jumping in and fixing issues that people
> encounter, it's often a better long-term idea to help them come up
> with a solution themselves. That approach obviously doesn't work with
> all users, but with some such empowerment can be highly rewarding.
> "Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." [*]
> > I'm inclined to give it another shot but I'm wondering what criteria do
> we use
> > to decide that we've done all we've can.
> I guess the best criteria is when people run out of ideas or the
> energy to implement them.
> Basically incubation of a project makes sense for as long as there's
> ongoing progress towards graduation. Once progress is no longer being
> made, it's time for a podling to exit the Incubator in one way or
> another.
> [*] Apparently originally by Anne Isabella Ritchie in 1885
> (, though
> the proverb is widely attributed to various other sources ranging from
> the Bible to Tao Te Ching.
> BR,
> Jukka Zitting

Ahmed Fathalla