incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Universal release docs
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:53:07 GMT

The ASF is technology-neutral:

  It must be noted that the incubator (just like the board) does not perform
  filtering on the basis of technical issues. This is because the foundation
  respects and suggests variety of technical approaches.

However, the Incubator's primary release documentation page,
<>, is rife with
technology-specific detail.

The Incubator has plenty of universal concerns regarding release signing,
license headers, distribution, and so on -- which together are more than
enough to cover in one document.  Adding content specific to N individual
programming languages or M downstream distribution channels on a single shared
page does not scale.

I propose that releasemanagement.html be reserved for information which is
common to all podlings.

Concretely, I suggest that we establish new pages to offload
technology-specific passages from releasemanagement.html, starting with
programming-language-specific pages as needed at
<{LANG_NAME}.html>.  The URL is an
implementation detail, but IMO it is important that we maintain dedicated
outlets for technology-specific contributions, as otherwise our primary page
will quickly return to its current unmanageable size.

Marvin Humphrey

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message