incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Universal release docs
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 04:49:07 GMT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Incubator has plenty of universal concerns regarding release signing,
>> license headers, distribution, and so on -- which together are more than
>> enough to cover in one document.  Adding content specific to N individual
>> programming languages or M downstream distribution channels on a single
>> shared page does not scale.
>
> Are you suggesting to remove things specific to java/jar packaging and/or
> distributions specific things like maven details ?

Those passages would be moved, intact, to a new home at release-java.html,
which would be prominently linked as you suggest below.

Once all technology-specific materials are separated out, it will be simpler
to consolidate, polish and edit the universally applicable material which
remains in releasemanagement.html.

>> I propose that releasemanagement.html be reserved for information which is
>> common to all podlings.
>>
>> Concretely, I suggest that we establish new pages to offload
>> technology-specific passages from releasemanagement.html, starting with
>> programming-language-specific pages as needed at
>> <http://incubator.apache.org/release-{LANG_NAME}.html>.  The URL is an
>> implementation detail, but IMO it is important that we maintain dedicated
>> outlets for technology-specific contributions, as otherwise our primary
>> page will quickly return to its current unmanageable size.
>>

> I believe some of these info is important, and we should at least have a
> direct link to the extra pages that you are proposing, otherwise new
> podlings might just forget about those pieces.

+1, sounds good.

If no one objects in the next couple days, I'll assume lazy consensus and move
forward.

Marvin Humphrey