incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: Shepherd for EasyAnt
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 16:51:47 GMT

On Jul 6, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Matt Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
>>> I guess I'm the one who just misunderstood the Ant sponsoring thing.
>>> Let's to it properly yes. Let's start asking to EasyAnt dev first.
>> Since Apache Ivy and Apache IvyDE are sub-projects of Apache Ant there is some sense
in EasyAnt having a place in the Apache Ant project. I see that dev@ant did VOTE for sponsorship
on a thread that you started [1], but I did not see a lot of discussion about what made sense
to the Apache Ant community.
>> A few months earlier you pushed for the donation of Bushel into Ivy [2] which was
>> I see that EasyAnt has an old Google Group ML and this thread describes the process
from the EasyAnt community's perspective. [3]
>> There is mention of Apache Ivy in the incubator four years prior, and we know it
ended up within the Apache Ant project.
> Surely you're not suggesting that because Ant has *once* (A) sponsored
> a podling's incubation and (B) subsequently adopted that podling as a
> subproject that it is bound to do B for *every* A?

Ant is certainly not bound to do it. That is their choice. I do think it is a logical fit,
but that's not the same.

I do think that when a TLP sponsors a podling that it should consider whether graduation to
that PMC is or is not a goal of Incubation. I think that would help the IPMC better mentor
the podling. I've read some of EasyAnt's private archives and better understand what happened.

I would certainly give EasyAnt time to negotiate possible outcomes - in no particular order.

(1) Return to being a project outside of the ASF.
(2) Transfer to the Ant PMC.
(3) Reboot the podling.
(4) Retire to the Attic.