incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Shepherd for EasyAnt
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:48:39 GMT

On Jul 4, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I guess that the incubation process for EasyAnt was about training the people
"attached" to the project so they learn how to build a proper ASF community, release, and
check IP clearance. Since the Ant PMC doesn't contain enough active members so handle such
project income, this should happen with the help of the Incubator.

>> How has the refactoring due to an expected contributor's unwillingness to sign an
ICLA effected the project? This issue makes me think that the main purpose of going through
the incubator was to inoculate the project's IP, not that there is anything wrong with that.
If it is true that the IP is correct is there any reason for the Incubator not to transfer
the EasyAnt project to the Ant PMC? Does that make sense?

> Dave,
>
> If this were true, I think that incubation was unnecessary and
> overkill. The Foundation has an IP clearance process available to
> existing TLP's that the IPMC helps with. If the ant project just
> wanted to cover the legal bases in absorbing a large outside code
> base, it could have used that.
>
> I should write that I'm a little perplexed here. Now that the
> Foundation frowns on 'umbrella projects', I'm a little uncertain as to
> the purpose of podlings sponsored by and/or intended for delivery to
> existing TLPs. If the podling is going to end up as a TLP, then the
> relationship to an existing TLP is moot. If it's going to just end up
> part of an existing TLP, then we don't need the whole incubation
> community-building process. The target TLP could run the code through
> IP clearance, check it into a sandbox, and grant commit access to the
> sandbox to the participants and then integrate the code and people as
> it sees fit.
>
> Other IPMC members, what am I missing here?

The process for IP Clearance for a PMC is here[1]

We are where we are.

Here are a few related questions:

(1) How should the Incubator support podling's sponsored by another PMC?

(2) Should the sponsoring PMC go through the IP clearance process[1] before the sponsored
podling begins Incubation?

(3) How should the Incubation process work if the end of Incubation for a podling is transfer
to an existing target PMC? The target PMC may not be the sponsoring PMC.  The IPMC may be
the sponsor.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

>> Note I used the term "transfer" to recognize a different situation or standard from
"graduation to a TLP".

>> Somehow the IPMC would need to certify the IP in the podling and then the target
PMC would have to accept the podling.