incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Shepherd for Any23 and EasyAnt
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:26:12 GMT
Hey Lewis,

Thanks, my comments inline below:

On Jul 3, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Firstly I would like to say hello to Dave and a thank you for stepping
> up/being elected/whatever the process was to get involved with Any23
> as the much appreciated Shepherd. It would be really great if you
> could get in list and introduce yourself to the community, as you
> mention the project is picking up pace and this would only help imho.
> Please see my personal comments below. Thank you
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Any23 -
>>> This is very cool. I want to try it out. It is already an active community and
looks
>>> it is growing. It is making progress to being an important part of the Semantic
Web.
>>> As I write this there is a Release VOTE starting on the any23-dev ML.
>
> +1
>

>> Sounds great! Assuming they get the release out, what's the feeling on
>> their status in terms of other graduation criteria? Are they ready to
>> start preparing for graduation, or is more community building still
>> needed?
>
> Although Any23 presence within the ASF is sponsored via Tika PMC I am
> not sure what our aspirations are regarding the future... Integration
> into Tikaland either as a subproject or full on integration is however
> a conversation which began and fizzled out sometime ago [0].

At this point, I think it would be fine (and the Tika PMC would be fine)
with Any23 graduating to its own project but perhaps when there is
consensus within the Any23 community that graduation is on the
horizon, then during that DISCUSS thread we could reach out to the
Tika PMC to see if there are any thoughts/objections to that.

Any23 has demonstrated to me most or all of the criteria for graduation
so far:

1. Diverse community
2. Active contributors
3. Friendly, apache communication
4. Willingness to vet the licenses of the software, clean upstream IP
5. Election of new contributors
6. Synergy with other Apache projects

Once the 0.7.0 release is out, I would recommend that the Any23
community start discussing graduation (and will do so on list post
facto).

> Regarding
> additional graduation criteria
> 1) Get 0.7.0-incubating release, and more importantly the release
> porocess absolutely nailed. Simone Tripodi has lead this one from the
> outset and he quoted the other day that his intention was that Any23
> PPMC member should now be able to act as release manager.
> 2) We recently welcomed Peter Ansell PPMC and Committership. Peter had
> some nice ideas w.r.t refactoring of codebase to simplify
> modularity... this DOES NOT block graduation

+1

> 3) Michele Mostarda has viewed his opinions in improving parsers as
> per W3C spec... this DOES NOT block graduation

+1

> I would be really keen to find out from a mentor/shepherd POV what
> does block graduations... I would however like to hear this post
> 0.7.0-incubating (1st since entering incubator) release.

Yep let's talk about it then.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris