incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Fwd: [ANN] Apache Syncope 1.0.0-RC3-incubating released
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:30:21 GMT
This seems very odd to me, certainly unusual among Apache projects.

The -dev and -user lists (and even general@incubator) are used to announce that
a release candidate is available and should be tested for readiness to become
an actual release.  Some projects use differently-numbered alpha and beta
designations in a similar manner.

A release candidate is, by definition, something which is not yet a release.
It doesn't seem like announce@apache.org is an appropriate channel.  The amount
of traffic that list would carry if every 'might become a release' candidate
was offered over what is supposed to be a lower-bandwidth, higher priority list
for users to pick up released updates.

My 2c nonbinding.

Bill