incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:53:33 GMT
Things that I've noted:

I don't see a checksum for your release in http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.7.1-incubating-candidate-2/
-- your release manager will need to generate a checksum for the release.

It would be nice if your archive extracted into an apache-kafka-0.7.1-incubating directory
(or similar name rather than .), but that's minor.

I see the following binary files in your source distribution:

./clients/csharp/lib/nunit/2.5.9/nunit.framework.dll
./contrib/hadoop-consumer/lib/pig-0.8.0-core.jar
./contrib/hadoop-consumer/lib/piggybank.jar
./contrib/hadoop-producer/lib/pig-0.8.0-core.jar
./contrib/hadoop-producer/lib/piggybank.jar
./lib/sbt-launch.jar

If I understand correctly, this does not meet a definition of an open source release (which
is what an apache release is…). It looks like this is how your last release was packaged,
also… I don't know if this is a blocking issue (for an incubator release), but I think you
need to work on resolving this (i.e. remove binaries from your source)…

IIUC, your LICENSE/NOTICE files are documenting your "source" (including the above jars).
Do you document the LICENSE/NOTICE of your binaries? I built kafka and see that a number jars
are pulled in… I have no idea what the LICENSING for these artifacts is… and whether or
not they conform to ASF standards (I did not review them all). Your project needs to document
them.

FYI, I couldn't figure out from the documentation how to start a server after I built kafka.

--kevan