incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:13:32 GMT

On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Jun Rao wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the comments. Just want to clarify on your points on
> LICENSE/NOTICE. Our LICENSE/NOTICE covers all jars included in the source,
> not those pulled in during building. We had a long discussion during our
> 1st release and in the end, we have reached the conclusion that we don't
> have to document LICENSE/NOTICE for jars not included in the source (since
> we are just doing a source release). Please correct me if you think this is
> blocking the release. We have to include a small number of jars in the
> source because there is no easy way to pull them in automatically.

Hi Jun,
Well, IMO, a source-only release does not free you from your responsibilities of creating/reviewing
the licensing of what your build produces.

Would it be ok if your source-only release builds binaries with artifacts that are not open
source or an approved open source license? How am I expected to review your release if you
can't/haven't documented your LICENSE/NOTICE files?

Your users will expect to build Kafka (not simply use Kafka source). IMO, you have a responsibility/requirement
to document the licensing of Kafka, not just the portions of Kafka (i.e. Kafka source code)
that you choose to document.

--kevan