incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:29:14 GMT

On Jun 22, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2012, at 10:44 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> If this is going to be a new hard requirement the people who feel strongly about
this should add something to Rat or write some kind of a plugin.

> Check out the recent 0.3 Airavata release. I didn't review it, until just now. However,
from what I can see, they have a large number of dependencies and, IMO, have done an excellent
job of documenting their LICENSE/NOTICE. Scanning the list, it looks like licensing issues
were raised on their 0.2 release. From what I can see, the community responded to the issues
and fixed them -- excellent job Airavata!

Yes in Airavata we have fairly large transitive dependencies (112 jars) and it took us a while,
but thanks to our mentor Ate Douma's persistence we now have the binary distribution L&N
files right. An automatic tool would have been nice, but what we found was for some of the
non-apache jars you really have to go to the websites and find the files. If Kafka's needs
help in verifying the requirements for next release I will be happy to help. FYI, here are
Airavata L&N files [1]  [2

Suresh

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/src/main/resources/LICENSE
[2] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/src/main/resources/NOTICE