incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release OpenMeetings 2.0-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:31:42 GMT
On 26 June 2012 14:46, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:40 AM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 26 June 2012 13:28, seba.wagner@gmail.com <seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the feedback and review so far!
>>>
>>> About correct attribution of ASF JARs
>>> Do they need a reference in the LICENSE file at all ?
>>
>> The recipient of the package needs to be able to quickly find the
>> license associated with all jars, so I would say yes.
>>
>>> Must the name of the JAR file be _exactly_ mentioned in the LICENSE file?
>>> For example:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/openmeetings/tags/2.0RC2/LICENSE?view=markup
>>> Line: 206
>>> "For GlassFish components / activation.jar"
>>> => Do we need to write "activation-jar-1.1.jar" instead of "activation.jar"
>>> ?
>>
>> Yes, because licenses may change between versions.
>
> I've seen 'activation-jar-x.x.jar' used to good effect. In either case, the key would
be that the license must be validated when the version is changed and when the release is
being generated/reviewed. As long as that occurs an explicit name or a suitably descriptive
name would be sufficient…

If the license is not tied to the specific jar version in the LICENSE
file, then this info will have to be held elsewhere to ensure that
version changes can be properly validated by the committers. Keeping
the version in the LICENSE file is very simple, and is helpful both to
the end-user and the reviewer.