incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prototype ASF Mailing List Request form
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:14:44 GMT
On 6 June 2012 05:05, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>> V3 of the interface:
>>
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/infra/mlreq
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/infra/mlreq/incubator
>>
>> Key changes:
>>
>> 1) initially start out with two moderator input fields, both marked as required.
>>
>> 2) a paste of a list of (either comma or space separated) emails will
>> be split across multiple input fields.
>>
>> 3) validation of podling, project, and emails.  This is the part where
>> I would like the most feedback.  Apparently, people will want to use
>> this before podlings and projects are set up elsewhere, and certainly
>> not all emails are known in advance, so the way I am handling this is
>> to ask for confirmation for each unrecognized value.  I also prevent
>> requests for the creation of lists that already exist.
>>
>> At the present time, I'm not yet pulling from podlings.xml.  One thing
>> I would like to discuss is whether it is possible for the following
>> logic in clutch.py be replaced by adding new attributes and/or
>> elements to podlings.xml and pulling the data from there:
>>
>>   if k == "zetacomponents":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("zeta")
>>   elif k == "beanvalidation":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("bval")
>>   elif k == "lucene.net":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("lucene-net")
>>   elif k == "manifoldcf":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("connectors")
>>   elif k == "openoffice.org":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("ooo")
>>   elif k == "odftoolkit":
>>     projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("odf")
>
> When the podlings.xml file started i had hoped that we could use
> its "resource" attribute to handle such alternate names.
> Not sure what is the intention of that attribute.

It is used to provide the "resource" variable in clutch.py.

It's normally equal to the lower-cased project name, e.g.

podling name="Accumulo" resource="accumulo"

However, spaces and some separators are dropped, and non-alphanumerics
are converted, e.g.

name="XMLBeans/C++" resource="xmlbeanscxx"

> There was an old conversation about this around 2011-10-10, e.g.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.general/31601/focus=31662
> suggesting an optional "resourceAlias" attribute.
>
> As explained there and in the clutch code, that "resourceNames" is plural
> because we found some projects use two or three different names for their project
> in different contexts.

Yes. The following are nominally the same, but can vary:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/<nnnnnn>
<nnnnnn>=<list of availids in asf-authorization-template>
http://incubator.apache.org/<nnnnnn>/...
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/<nnnnnn>.html

I may have forgotten some contexts.