incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [PROPOSAL] Allura to enter the Incubator
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:26:34 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> We are proposing Allura to be admitted to the Apache Incubator, and would
> like to request that the IPMC votes on this issue.

  [x] +1 I recommend that Allura becomes an Apache Incubator project

FTR, I'm including the current state of the proposal wiki page below.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

= Abstract =

Allura is a modular and extensible free/open source software platform
for software development. You can read more about Allura’s feature set
in the Allura wiki at https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/wiki/Features/

= Proposal =

Allura is an open source implementation of a software "forge", a suite
of web applications that manages source code repositories, bug
reports, discussions, mailing lists, wiki pages, blogs and more for
any number of individual projects as well as for collections of
projects.

SourceForge.net is running an instance of Allura, and Allura itself is
a project managed there: http://sf.net/p/allura/. Additionally,
http://software.dlr.de/ is using Allura.

The name Allura itself has two meanings. It’s Sardinian slang for “And
then …” It’s also the name of Princess Allura, from Voltron. Stories
vary, as with any good project name.

Allura has been designed to be the code and project hosting platform
for SourceForge, the largest place for Open Source software tools and
applications: home to over 3 million users, hosting a catalog of over
300,000 distinct projects and serving over 40 million unique visitors
per month and over 15 million downloads per week. Allura was designed
to be scalable, delivering only what projects need, and our aim is to
collaborate with ASF to get the wider contributions and make it the
richest all-in-one solution to design, write, debug and promote
individual projects as well as collections of projects.

= Background =

Since the late 1990’s, SourceForge has provided a place for people to
create and run Open Source projects. In the last two years, the
back-end has been completely rewritten, and has been Open Source since
the beginning of that process. This rewritten code comprises Allura.

Allura is written in Python, and provides a framework within which one
can select source control (svn, git, mercurial, etc), issue trackers,
discussion forums, and various other tools associated with the
software development process.

SourceForge.net itself is running on an instance of Allura.

= Rationale =

Software development projects can be complicated beasts. By providing
all of the necessary tools, and offering a choice of tools in most
categories, Allura promotes best practice in software development.
This product can be used either inside a company - as some are already
doing at their own premise, such as http://software.dlr.de/ - or as an
open forge like SourceForge, to encourage software projects to be done
right.

As Apache’s mission is to produce software for the public good, the
Allura project fits right in by enabling others to also produce
software using good development practices.

We also believe strongly in giving project communities as much control
over their destiny as possible, even if this means enabling them to
take their project elsewhere. Allura is built to give projects
complete control over their data, and Allura itself being Open Source
contributes to this by giving them input into the hosting environment
as well. Having Allura within Apache, and outside of direct
SourceForge control, will give our development communities even more
control of their projects.

= Current Status =

Allura has been developed under the Apache License v2.0 from the beginning.

= Meritocracy =

We plan to do everything possible to encourage an environment which
will support a meritocracy. At the moment all committers are either
SourceForge employees or former SourceForge employees. We are already
working with some universities to help students to build their career
path collaborating with our open source project.

= Community =

Allura has been developed in the open since its inception, and has a
community of developers outside of the company that actively watch
development, and submit tickets and patches. We are interested in
building that community more, and adding more developers from outside
of our organization.

SourceForge has a long history of helping Open Source projects build
their communities, and strongly believes in the value of the
community, even over the value of the code itself. We look forward to
diversification of our community, and the vibrancy this will grant to
the code.

Additionally, Allura supports the concept of “neighborhoods”, which
allow for grouping of related projects into shared project management,
which may be helpful with related projects within the ASF, were
projects interested in adopting Allura as their development platform.

= Alignment =

Allura is about software development, and has grown out of a community
which is about open software development. The love for Open Source in
general, and the Apache governance model in particular, is deep seated
in all of the folks currently on the Allura team.

While Allura itself enables any development methodology, the core
Allura team is very much believers in the Apache Way.

= Known Risks =

The existing Allura development team has the SourceForge website
firmly in mind when developing. This means supporting our project
developer communities and addressing their developer experience.

We have a deep personal interest in seeing this project succeed, and,
thus, our company be successful. This may may result in different
priorities from members of the community that come from outside of
SourceForge.

However, we firmly believe that it’s exactly that diversification of
the developer community that will make the product more successful.

== Orphaned products ==

As SourceForge’s entire business is based around this product, there’s
no risk that the project development will be abandoned, regardless of
the outcome of this proposal or a subsequent incubation. We’re in it
for the long haul. Additionally, several other businesses are based
around older versions of this product, and have expressed interest in
ongoing participation.
Inexperience with Open Source

The initial developers of this project have a long association with
Open Source. SourceForge itself has been a hub of Open Source
development, so to speak, for more than ten years, and many of the
initial developers on this project have been involved with Open Source
for as long or longer.

== Homogeneous Developers ==

The initial set of active developers are, indeed, almost all from the
same company. Although there are some names on the initial committer
list from outside the company, most of these are former employees who
are not very active any more.

We are hoping to expand that group of developers, in order to have
wider input from our user community to improve the developer
experience for those using Allura as a development infrastructure.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==

At present, almost all development on Allura is done on salaried time
from a single company. It is understood that expanding the developer
community to the point where this is not the case, is a goal of
incubation.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==

It is hoped that some Apache projects might adopt Allura as their
development infrastructure. We don’t know how this might come about,
but would love to see that outcome. Indeed, overcoming objections to
using Allura as a development infrastructure will no doubt lead to
enormous product improvements.

With regard to direct connections to Apache projects, Allura itself
uses Apache Solr for search functionality, and the source control
component supports Apache Subversion, in addition to other revision
control technologies.

== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

We are indeed Apache fans. We look to Apache as a model of good
community governance methodologies, and recommend these methodologies
to projects hosted at SourceForge all the time. If this constitutes an
excessive fascination with Apache, then we’re guilty as charged.

However, we’re interested in joining the ASF family, not for the brand
recognition, but in order to benefit from this community governance
model. We already have a recognized brand, and we already have
infrastructure. We’re interested in learning, as well as teaching,
about how Open Source projects are run, and doing it better, as well
as the obvious benefits to our project community and the product
itself.

= Initial Source =

The Allura source code has been developed in the open, in Git, on the
SourceForge infrastructure, from day one. It has been under the Apache
License, 2.0, also from day one. The entire code history can be seen
here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/git/

The project began in July of 2010.

= Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =

Geeknet owns copyright and other intellectual property rights on what
its employees produce. The patches that we've received so far have had
a "Signed-off-by" flag, to indicate licensing under AL2 See
https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/wiki/Contributing%20Code/ for
details.

= External Dependencies =

External dependencies include MongoDB, Apache Solr, and numerous
Python packages.

= Cryptography =

None in the codebase, only in 3rd-party dependencies

= Required Resources =

Allura is a development forge for Open Source software. It is
currently self-hosted on the SourceForge.net instance, and we strongly
believe that eating our own dogfood is central to the success of our
project. As such, several of the items in this section request that we
remain self-hosted, presumably on a VM running Allura.

= Mailing lists =

In addition to the self-hosted web-based discussion forums, Allura
requires the following mailing lists:

allura-private
allura-dev
allura-users
allura-commits

= Subversion Directory =

Input needed from Incubator PMC - Allura is currently developed in
Git, and we’d prefer to keep it that way. We also desire to have our
code be self-hosted - ie, to develop Allura within the Allura tool.

= Issue Tracking =

Input needed from Incubator PMC. The Allura product includes a ticket
tracker, and we would prefer to use all of our own tools, as much as
possible, in the development of our product.

= Initial Committers =

This is the initial committer list on the Allura project.

 * kadams@geek.net                 Kyle Adams
 * tvansteenburgh@geek.net    Tim Van Steenburgh
 * jardev@gmail.com                 Yaroslav Luzin
 * patrick@geek.net                   Patrick Lenz