incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Isis status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "June2012" by DanHaywood)
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:46:20 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the report, Isis!

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
> +   - only really one issue: need to demonstrate can bring in at least one
> +     new committer.  At that point, we feel that we have done enough to
> +     warrant graduation (as a small but viable community)

Looking at Isis I'm a bit worried about the drop of activity over the
past few months, especially in April. Hopefully that's just a
temporary issue.

I see you do have three active committers (danhaywood, kevin and
rmatthews have commits from this year) and you are able to cut
releases, which already covers most of the common concerns about low
diversity in a project. See also the recent discussions on general@
about the diversity requirement and the way the issue is being
addressed by the Etch project. It seems like following the example of
Etch would work fine for Isis.

To summarize, it looks like you could be ready to graduate already now
if the community itself thinks it's time to do so. Alternatively you
could try to recruit one more committer before graduation, which would
make the IPMC graduation vote a much easier decision.

Mentors, what's your feeling about the readiness of Isis to graduate?

> +   - hopeful that the new project currently starting will yield a new committer

I remember [1] you did a lot of good stuff recently to remove barriers
of entry. However, it looks like you may be missing out on some
potential new contributors. For example Jason Richardson filed five
issues in May [2] but didn't get any feedback on them yet. A simple
"Do you have a fix in mind? A patch would be great!" reply goes a long
way.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/yklgr4vztpqconag
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+ISIS+AND+reporter+%3D+%22jason.richardson%22

BR,