incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <>
Subject Re: Isis status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "June2012" by DanHaywood)
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:18:14 GMT
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Jukka Zitting <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the report, Isis!
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Apache Wiki <> wrote:
>> +   - only really one issue: need to demonstrate can bring in at least one
>> +     new committer.  At that point, we feel that we have done enough to
>> +     warrant graduation (as a small but viable community)
> Looking at Isis I'm a bit worried about the drop of activity over the
> past few months, especially in April. Hopefully that's just a
> temporary issue.
> I see you do have three active committers (danhaywood, kevin and
> rmatthews have commits from this year) and you are able to cut
> releases, which already covers most of the common concerns about low
> diversity in a project. See also the recent discussions on general@
> about the diversity requirement and the way the issue is being
> addressed by the Etch project. It seems like following the example of
> Etch would work fine for Isis.
> To summarize, it looks like you could be ready to graduate already now
> if the community itself thinks it's time to do so. Alternatively you
> could try to recruit one more committer before graduation, which would
> make the IPMC graduation vote a much easier decision.
> Mentors, what's your feeling about the readiness of Isis to graduate?

+: This group has been, in my experience, very good with Apache
process since the start. I'm not really concerned that they will
suddenly grow fangs and claws as a TLP when and if they finally meet a
new person and get the chance to assimilate him or her.

-: They're just barely big enough, and there may just not be enough
interested parties out there.

Given recent views on this subject, I'd lean toward graduation rather
than endless incubation or a parting of the ways.