incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Prototype ASF Mailing List Request form
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 02:03:08 GMT
V3 of the interface:

https://whimsy.apache.org/infra/mlreq
https://whimsy.apache.org/infra/mlreq/incubator

Key changes:

1) initially start out with two moderator input fields, both marked as required.

2) a paste of a list of (either comma or space separated) emails will
be split across multiple input fields.

3) validation of podling, project, and emails.  This is the part where
I would like the most feedback.  Apparently, people will want to use
this before podlings and projects are set up elsewhere, and certainly
not all emails are known in advance, so the way I am handling this is
to ask for confirmation for each unrecognized value.  I also prevent
requests for the creation of lists that already exist.

At the present time, I'm not yet pulling from podlings.xml.  One thing
I would like to discuss is whether it is possible for the following
logic in clutch.py be replaced by adding new attributes and/or
elements to podlings.xml and pulling the data from there:

  if k == "zetacomponents":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("zeta")
  elif k == "beanvalidation":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("bval")
  elif k == "lucene.net":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("lucene-net")
  elif k == "manifoldcf":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("connectors")
  elif k == "openoffice.org":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("ooo")
  elif k == "odftoolkit":
    projects[k]['resourceNames'].append("odf")

The ideal for me would be to have confirmation prompts be rare enough
that when they do occur, people will actually read them.  The overall
concern is that if it becomes too easy to create malling lists, the
next problem will be requests to the infrastructure team to rename
lists or moderator names when typos occur :-)

For those who are interested, source is here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/whimsy/www/officers/mlreq.cgi

- Sam Ruby