incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:37:45 GMT

On 23 Jun 2012, at 18:48, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Nick, the AOOi project does not write those tweets from @TheASF and they are not under
AOOi control.

> Are these and blog text occurrences the ones that attracted your attention or are there
others?

> If you follow the links to the referenced blog posts you will see that the full term
is used in the blog title.   E.g., <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/5_million_downloads_of_apache>.

So what appears on www.apache.org doesn't matter?

Nor what appears on planet.apache.org, featuring the article that first struck me
as using the name in a way I wouldn't expect when I read it in my feed reader:
http://www.robweir.com/blog/2012/06/pache-openoffice-34-downloads.html

> Would it have been sufficient to add it in the title of the individual post, and in the
first mention in the opening paragraph?

I should think so, but that's just me!

> How many times do you require that the qualifier be used to satisfy the requirement for
identifying incubation as the origin of a release, an announcement, etc?

If the guidelines are unclear then maybe they need reviewing?
I was just pointing out usage that seems at odds with my understanding
of the incubator rules.

If a blog gets aggregated, then readers will see what appears in their
aggregator, as I did.  That's without the context of the page title in your link!

--
Nick Kew