incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 05:20:57 GMT

On Jun 19, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Jun Rao wrote:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> Thanks for the comments. Just want to clarify on your points on
>> LICENSE/NOTICE. Our LICENSE/NOTICE covers all jars included in the source,
>> not those pulled in during building. We had a long discussion during our
>> 1st release and in the end, we have reached the conclusion that we don't
>> have to document LICENSE/NOTICE for jars not included in the source (since
>> we are just doing a source release). Please correct me if you think this is
>> blocking the release. We have to include a small number of jars in the
>> source because there is no easy way to pull them in automatically.
>
> Hi Jun,
> Well, IMO, a source-only release does not free you from your responsibilities of creating/reviewing
the licensing of what your build produces.

> Would it be ok if your source-only release builds binaries with artifacts that are not
open source or an approved open source license? How am I expected to review your release if
you can't/haven't documented your LICENSE/NOTICE files?

> Your users will expect to build Kafka (not simply use Kafka source). IMO, you have a
responsibility/requirement to document the licensing of Kafka, not just the portions of Kafka
(i.e. Kafka source code) that you choose to document.

There's precedent for not doing this, e.g. the previous release of Kafka and I am certain
other ASF releases.  Precedence has great weight.  With that said, I think it's something
good and extremely useful to strive for.  The lack of it, i.e. extensive documentation in
LICENSE/NOTICE with regards to transitive dependencies, is not a showstopper IMO unless there
are explicit rules prohibiting it on the ASF rules.

FWIW, what I did last time was hand review every single jar and make sure that it's AL 2.0
compatible; yes someone owes me a beer.  I wish there was a rat target for sbt.

Regards,
Alan