incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 2)
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:43:15 GMT

On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:42 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> Hi, Jun,
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Jun Rao <junrao@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree that to the benefit of users, it would be reasonable for Apache
>> projects to include license/notice for all dependant jars (directly or
>> indirectly) in a release. However, this has to be done automatically by
>> tools, not manually by human beings. IMO, without such tools, it's unfair
>> (and error prone) to make this a requirement for all Apache projects.
>
> Obeying dependency license provisions is not an ASF policy, it's a legal
> requirement.  Fairness is immaterial.
>
> If you bundle the bits, you must deal with the licensing and you must get it
> right.

Totally agree.

Jun
It would be nice to have tools which automatically handle/assist in building LICENSE/NOTICE
info. In my experience, they don't exist, yet. If anyone might be interested in working on
such a tool -- that'd be great.

With or without the tool, each project is required to comply with their licensing requirements.

--kevan