incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Kafka 0.7.1-incubating (Candidate 3)
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 03:22:59 GMT

On Jun 21, 2012, at 6:27 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> At some point, though, IPMC members either need to start voting -1 on any
> incubating RC that has a jar file in it, or someone needs to formally answer
> Roy's argument and explain how binary files can be considered "open source"
> when they aren't source code.

Roy's missives are not papal bulls.  He is entitled to espouse his opinion and I am entitled
to not read it; though I almost always do.  :)

My point is that we need something more formal than digging through yards of drivel to find
nuggets of real discussion that don't amount to pleas to be emotionally validated.  Even then,
just because someone espouses an opinion it does not become law because others have stopped
replying, implying lazy consensus where sometimes it's really that opposing opinions walked
or were bullied away.

Really, we need something more formal.  Lite, but formal.

Regards,
Alan