incubator-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: JIRA and communities
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 19:35:57 GMT
Agreed about the Review tool... I've had similar problems when it's used in Hadoop (however,
thankfully, it's usage is fairly miniscule.)

Arun

On May 25, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On May 25, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Steve Loughran
>> <steve.loughran@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not convinced that JIRA helps communities. It's great in companies -IDE
>>> integration, you can bounce issues to others, it pings your phone so often
>>> you can use it as a network liveness test. It also lets you persist
>>> discussions in a way that can be searched. In a busy project, it helps you
>>> keep track of your workload, and can assist in sprint planning if you fill
>>> in the est/actual workload fields.
>>
>> I don't claim that JIRA helps, but I also don't accept the proposition
>> that JIRA hurts.
>>
>> I think that we should focus on the community, not the tools. The
>> JIRA-oriented projects I follow have JIRA set to send all new issues,
>> and all new comments, to the dev list. So all community members, and,
>> in particular, all PMC members with a duty to supervise, see all the
>> traffic.
>
> I have no problem with Jira, it is a great tool.  My problem - specific to the way Flume
does things - is that they also use the Review tool and you end up with a copy of a message
from the Review tool and another copy of the same thing from Jira.  A LOT of those messages
are pure noise.  The ones that do contain content do a poor job of quoting whatever is being
commented on.  So the only way to really tell what is going on is to go into Jira and look
at every issue.