incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ambari Status
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 10:47:17 GMT
On 10 May 2012 06:05, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
> <mfranklin@mitre.org> wrote:
>> In reviewing the Amabari report, I have a couple of notes/concerns:
>>
>>  * The community IMHO is in serious risk of failure to launch.  A recent code change
has sparked project interest, but list activity was non existent after January.

> Ambari's code base isn't functional yet and until it is and it is
> difficult to build a community until a version works. All of the
> contributors  are employed by Hortonworks, which exposes the project
> to the whims of the company's priorities. There's a new code base that
> has been checked in on a branch that is close to working. Once there
> is a working version, I hope that community will build.
>
>>   *As Ambari went nearly 2 months without a single e-mail to the list, I think an
issue for graduation should be added that the community must demonstrate viability for X more
reporting periods (where x IMO is > 2).

> I agree that Ambari is no where close to graduation and was close to
> being dead. I hope the new code base will revitalize it.
>
>>   * The list of completed JIRA issues is not very telling of anything and might
give the impression that the community is more vibrant than it is

> It was very active for September to January. I explicitly called out
> that the project had been dormant since January.
>
>> Also, I noticed that ddas signed off on it as a mentor.  I don't see him listed
as an Apache member or IPMC member.

> He was added to the IPMC. The message from Noel was dated 6 Oct 2011.

Note: he is currently listed in committee-info.txt as a member of the IPMC.