incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ambari Status
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 05:05:47 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
<mfranklin@mitre.org> wrote:
> In reviewing the Amabari report, I have a couple of notes/concerns:
>
>  * The community IMHO is in serious risk of failure to launch.  A recent code change
has sparked project interest, but list activity was non existent after January.

Ambari's code base isn't functional yet and until it is and it is
difficult to build a community until a version works. All of the
contributors  are employed by Hortonworks, which exposes the project
to the whims of the company's priorities. There's a new code base that
has been checked in on a branch that is close to working. Once there
is a working version, I hope that community will build.

>   *As Ambari went nearly 2 months without a single e-mail to the list, I think an issue
for graduation should be added that the community must demonstrate viability for X more reporting
periods (where x IMO is > 2).

I agree that Ambari is no where close to graduation and was close to
being dead. I hope the new code base will revitalize it.

>   * The list of completed JIRA issues is not very telling of anything and might give
the impression that the community is more vibrant than it is

It was very active for September to January. I explicitly called out
that the project had been dormant since January.

> Also, I noticed that ddas signed off on it as a mentor.  I don't see him listed as an
Apache member or IPMC member.

He was added to the IPMC. The message from Noel was dated 6 Oct 2011.

-- Owen