incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shepherds for podling reports
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 16:04:17 GMT
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 2, 2012, at 1:53 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In order to better share the effort of reviewing podling reports and
>> giving constructive feedback where needed, I'd like to propose
>> something like the shepherd model the ASF board is using for project
>> reports. For each report a single "shepherd" [*] is assigned
>> responsibility for a deeper review of the report and any followups
>> that may be needed. Of course anyone within the IPMC is still welcome
>> to help in the review, and in any case the mentors of a podling should
>> review and sign off on the reports of their podlings.
>>
>> Any volunteer shepherds? Please sign up by adding your name to [1].
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorShepherds
>> [*] A shepherd watching over a podling... Perhaps someone has a better
>> agricultural term in mind? :-)
>
> I feel that I should state my opinion, and this is just my humble opinion, that the solution
to a problem is not to add more process, bureaucracy, and roles.

> It's my opinion that this task should be done by the mentors, period.  If people have
spare bandwidth they then should sign up to be a mentor.

> Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Alan, I always appreciate your input.

However I think Jukka is simply asking for more "fresh" eye balls to
help in the review before submission of the composite report. The
shear time, and volume of work required to properly review all those
Incubator Podling reports can be overwhelming for a single person:
delegation is very sensible.

I don't think there's more process or more bureaucracy. IMHO it's a
good, non-bureaucratic evolutionary step towards better management.
Honestly when I try to put myself into the IPMC Chair's perspective to
understand the amount of work and responsibility he has, I get
overwhelmed.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex