incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open enrollment
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 07:08:56 GMT
> The "open enrollment" period has historically been controversial -- Crunch is
> not the first project to wrestle with it.

Just to re-iterate, the issue with Crunch was not whether or not that
group decided to have an open enrollment or not. The issue was that
the announced policy to not have one was selectively ignored for one
volunteer versus another.  After announcing its intention to go with a
closed enrollment, an exception was made:
>  the consensus was that your background is uniquely valuable
> to the project, and that we would like to have you with us as an
> initial committer.
which is a fancy way of saying 'we're going to make an exception to
our own policy just for your case' - a pretty bad foot for a
merit-based effort to get off on.

Open enrollment, closed enrollment or the hybrid you're suggesting all
can (or not) work fine because they're all fair rules for the new
group to build on.
-jakob