incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JIRA scalability issues
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 22:08:01 GMT
On 26 May 2012 21:50, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Steve Loughran
> <steve.loughran@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is becoming a bit of a SPOF, isn't it?
>
> What has changed about our JIRA instance is both its size and its
> increasing
> integration into the workflows of some projects.  It always was a SPOF, but
> now we are feeling it more because it is getting harder to keep online,
> harder
> to troubleshoot, and more sorely missed when it is unavailable.

I think it's the integration that's changed. Instead of the mail list being
the focus of collaboration, and the bug tracker a todo list, now the
tracker is the centre of collaboration and how things are shared.

> Unfortunately, JIRA is not a distributed application.  There is one massive
> database.  There is one process.

Oh, the irony of developing datacentre-scale nosql apps using Jira as a dev
tool overwhelms me.

> Resource utilization exceeding the capabilities of a single machine isn't a
> problem yet.  Traffic isn't too heavy -- 3-4 hits a second on average, from
> what I hear.
>
> But when you have to reindex, it takes hours, and when you have to
> restart, it
> takes several minutes.  That sluggishness severely impedes troubleshooting
> --
> a problem that could be isolated in minutes with a smaller JIRA instance
> and
> near-instantaneous restarts takes hours to solve with a database as big as
> ours.

I see the issue. You could shard, but that would increase the workload of
user management (unless you switch to LDAP-auth), plus it you cant
cross-link JIRA issues.

> The JIRA project import pains which have affected the Flex podling are
> related
> to this.  JIRA is a pain to upgrade because it is big and finicky about
> JREs
> and operating systems, and because our infamous custom checkbox module
> makes
> things tricky.  There was some question about whether version discrepancies
> were aggravating the Flex import failures, but nobody wanted to go through
> the
> upgrade to see if that helped.
>
> Then, JIRA security vulnerabilities forced Infra's hand this week.  The
> consequence was a lot of downtime and a lot of frustration and stress for
> everybody while Infra has worked through the upgrade with lots of 5-minute
> restart cycles.  It has been at least as painful as everyone had
> anticipated.

I see those security emails too, and given the way JIRA was used to gain
access to the apache infrastructure in the past, I understand precisely why
those updates are needed.