incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Open enrollment
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 12:54:36 GMT
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>  * Incubation proposals should have separate sections for "Initial
>>    Committers" and "Initial PPMC Members".
>
> Too much hierarchy, the ASF is flat. This is hard to understand if we
> introduce layers to incubation.

Well, now *I'm* confused. :)  The distinction between committer and PMC member
exists at the ASF.  Some podlings choose to unify the roles of committer and
PPMC member, others do not -- same as with TLPs, some of which unify the roles
of committer and PMC Member while others do not.

My guess is that you believe the two roles ought to be unified, a position
which Chris Mattmann argued passionately for and at great length during Lucy's
incubation.  I remain unpersuaded, but as I don't want to step in that
acrimonious debate, let's sidestep...

> Why can't they just be contributors needing to earn merit just as they
> would in a TLP?

OK, then how about a place for people to sign up for the podling dev list in
advance?

In my opinion, there should continue to be a way for new people to get
involved during the proposal phase.  The reason is simple: the less time your
signup sheet is out there, the fewer names you'll collect.

Marvin Humphrey