incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Open enrollment
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 15:56:57 GMT
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> However, I am uncomfortable with the exclusivity of language like "The initial
>> committers will be made up exclusively from existing contributors".
>
> Why? Specifically, imagine a new project coming into the incubator.
> They have a vibrant and healthy community. They already operate
> according to the Apache Way. They want to limit initial contributors
> to those who have already demonstrated merit in the project. Their
> justification is that everyone who is currently a committer earned
> that right through hard work and they don't want to undermine that by
> giving Joe Blogs the power of veto over critical decisions until they
> too have proven themselves.
>
> In such circumstances why, as an IPMC member, would you object to this
> approach?

Hmm, there must have been a serious failure of communication between us if
think I'd object to that. :\

So long as something actually gets done to curtail open enrollment and we
aren't still talking about how "piling on" is a problem in 2018, my primary
objective in starting this thread will have been achieved, so I retire from
the field.

Marvin Humphrey