incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] BOM and supported platforms for Bigtop 0.4.0
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 15:23:05 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Owen O'Malley <> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler
>> <> wrote:
>>> So you are suggesting expanding the charter to include projects not hosted at
>> I don't think this is what Bruno suggested. Personally I can't find
>> any reference in Bigtop
>> charter that restricts it to Projects that belong to Apache Software
>> Foundation.
> As a mentor of the Bigtop project, I don't see it as acceptable for an
> Apache project to distribute binaries of non-Apache software.

In that case, I suggest you start with filing upstream JIRAs for pretty much
all of the Hadoop ecosystem projects kindly asking them to remove
dependencies on non-ASF (but APL!) projects like Guava libraries. Until
that happens there's very little Bigtop can do.

> If the owners of the Hue project decide to donate it to Apache and it had
> been released by Apache, then it would be acceptable. I'm strictly -1
> on releasing any version of Bigtop with Hue or any other non-Apache
> software as part of the release.

I would like to point out, that your -1 on Hue is highly inconsistent for the
reason I mentioned above. I'm not sure what rules ASF has for gratuitous
-1 votes devoid of clear technical reasoning, but I'm sure as a project
mentor you can help us find out what that policy is.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message