incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] BOM and supported platforms for Bigtop 0.4.0
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 17:37:48 GMT
Roman,

I see your point that many Apache projects include non-Apache code in their binary distributions.
 But there is a distinction here.  In the case of Hadoop and other projects, they bring things
such Guava along because they need them, not for the express purpose of distributing those
artifacts.  Bigtop, by its nature, is different because it provides artifacts for users to
download regardless of what other components they need.  It is the difference between "we
include this because we need it" and "we include this because you might want it".

My concern is that this is a slippery slope.  There are lots of other things people use with
Hadoop (Ganglia for monitoring, Postgres for their Hive metastore, Cascading, etc.).  Would
we want Bigtop distributing those?  This would consume a lot of Apache resources to host these
things on the download servers.

Additionally, we need to think about maintaining Apache's brand.  When we redistribute Apache
binaries, we know those have gone through an established release process.  With non-Apache
binaries, even those that are APL, we know nothing of their releases processes, code quality,
etc.  I do not mean this as a slight to Hue nor any of the projects mentioned above.  But
if we let one in we will have to let others in.  Again this is important because we would
be opening ourselves up as a distribution point for those projects independent of their usage
in other Apache projects.

By drawing the line at distributing only Apache projects we protect Apache both in terms of
server resource usage and in branding.

As Bruno pointed out in the thread on bigtop-dev (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-bigtop-dev/201205.mbox/%3C4F9F4F6C.4000404%40apache.org%3E
) this does limit Bigtop, so I understand the motivation to do it.  But before we take this
step it merits discussion in the community.

Finally, a comment on the role of mentors.  You were concerned that Owen was vetoing this
for non-technical reasons.  Your mentors are not here to guide the project just, or even primarily,
technically.  We are here to help the project learn the Apache way.  It is perfectly legitimate,
even expected, for a mentor to raise non-techincal concerns such as these.

Alan.