incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JIRA and communities
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 15:25:09 GMT

On May 28, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> [...]
appears to lower the barrier of entry.  I fully understand how JIRA and ReviewBoard can pollute
a mail list; however, if that is how the community wants to operate, why stop them?  Since
everything gets forwarded to the dev list, IMO JIRA and ReviewBoard are perfectly legitimate
tools for managing  workflows within communities.   We can always suggest changes and simplifications,
or try out new processes and workflows, but forcing a community to operate a specific way
doesn't seem appropriate.

The problem here is that discussions and decisions are supposed to happen on the dev list.
 With ReviewBoard, while everything does get sent to the list, the discussion is extremely
difficult to follow just by looking at the email.  In fact, I'd wonder how many devs who are
on projects that use ReviewBoard read those emails.  As far as Flume goes, if you take away
the Jira and ReviewBoard noise I'd guess more technical discussion takes place on the user's
list than on the dev list.  Of course, I haven't looked at the other projects that use it
so I don't know if it is the same there.

By the way, if anyone can tell me how to configure gmail to filter the ReviewBoard stuff so
I can put it in its own folder I would greatly appreciate it.

> One thing I have seen a few podlings do is add a users mail list that offers a lower
barrier of entry and allows newcomers to gradually become more immersed in the daily operations
of the project.

IMO, every project should have a user's list, but that is really more for end users who have
questions on how to use the project.

Ralph