incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by SureshMarru)
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 04:03:25 GMT
Hi Jukka,
On May 8, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the great report, Airavata! Sounds like you're doing fine.
>
> Based on your report I still classified Airavata as lacking enough
> diversity to graduate in near future, but I'm looking forward to
> hearing about new committers or other community developments already
> in your next report. Also, it'll be interesting to hear about how the
> GSoC program works for you with so many students participating.
>
> And of course congrats on getting the first release out!

Thanks for taking time to review. Yes we are very much looking forwarding to broadening the
community. As you pointed out, waiting to see how GSoC students fare up. We have a diverse
user base but the developer community is little focused now. Ross & Chris have been actively
mentoring the project helping us in the right direction. Big thanks to Ate in mentoring on
legal requirements. We had the first release out and hoping that will  stir some more momentum.
 We have seen some sporadic interests from community and we need to encourage that into more
contributions [1] [2] [3] [4] [5].

Just to clarify: if we literally speak, the committers have currently diverse affiliations.
Indiana University  - 8 (Lahiru Gunathilake, Suresh Marru, Marlon Pierce, Thilina Gunaratne,
Raminderjeet Singh, Barbara Hallock, Heshan Suriyaarachchi, Saminda Wijeratne) ; Lanka Software
Foundation - 2 (Srinath Perera, Wathsala Vithanage); IBM - 1 (Aleksander Slominski); Chase
- 1 (Archit Kulshrestha); Knight Capital (Chathura Herath), NexTag - 2 (Eran Chinthaka, Patanachai
Tangchaisin). But practically speaking all active contributions are centered. Not just for
graduation, but to let the software evolve with different use cases, we want to pro-actively
encourage diverse participation. We hope to have few new committers come onboard before next
report.

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - http://markmail.org/thread/p2kbay63hyv3co2h