incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Syncope 1.0.0-RC1-incubating / 2nd attempt
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 06:43:40 GMT
Le 5/14/12 1:03 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 12 May 2012 23:59, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> If this is the second attempt, why is it called RC1 ?
>>>
>>> Surely it should be called RC2 ?
>>
>> Depends. As the first vote has been canceled, there was nothing like an
>> official RC1.
> RC means Release candidate; if the vote passes, it becomes the release.
>
>> As noted in the subject, this is the 2nd attempt for RC1.
> Does not make sense.
>
> The second attempt is the second release candidate, i.e. RC2.
This is not the semantic we are using. A RC is just a relese that we
expect to become the GA if no major issue is encountered. It's not
something like an attempt to release.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Release_candidate

The fact that we have to check that a RC is a valid RC against the ASF
croteria does not impede the numbering scheme we use : we keep trying to
cut a release, with the same number, until we get it correct. At least,
that's my opinion, which may not be shared.

In any case, it should not be a blocker...

Thanks !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,