incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Syncope 1.0.0-RC1-incubating
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 12:06:47 GMT
Comments inline

Le 5/8/12 11:05 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 8 May 2012 09:13, Francesco Chicchiriccò<ilgrosso@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Hi Sebb,
>> you can find my replies embedded below.
>>
>> I am going to send a [CANCEL] reply to this thread, remove Nexus staging
>> repo and SVN tag, fix everything and start again the release process for
>> 1.0.0-RC1-incubating from scratch.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>>> The NOTICE file is very long; I suspect that not all of the entries are
>>> *required*.
>>
>> The LICENSE and NOTICE files were written against the parent POM: all the
>> dependencies with scope != test were considered, then.
> The N&L files must relate to what is actually included in the archive.

We release sources, so making a distinction between scope != test
dependencies and scope=test dependencies does not make sense, AFAICT. If
we use a 3rd party product to test Syncope, then I think we must refer
their licenses in NOTICE and LICENSE.

>>> For example, cglib is available under AL 2.0, so I don't think it needs to
>>> be mentioned in the NOTICE file.
>>
>> All the AL 2.0 dependencies not from ASF were added anyway to the LICENSE
>> and NOTICE files; we preferred to have these two files with the same
>> entries, even though for different purposes.
> The NOTICE file has a specific purpose; it should *only* contain
> required notices.

The best would be to check the 3rd product licenses to see if they
require you to add the licenses. But as we are not lawyers, and sometime
Licenses are written in a way that only a couple of judges plus the
suprem court can understand what is in it, I'd suggest that if you have
a doubt, just include them.

In any case, as soon as the required notes are in the NOTICE file, it
should not be a blocker.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,