incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Franklin, Matthew B." <mfrank...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: JIRA and communities
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 13:57:58 GMT

IMO, we wouldn't want to force a single workflow into each community just because it appears
to lower the barrier of entry.  I fully understand how JIRA and ReviewBoard can pollute a
mail list; however, if that is how the community wants to operate, why stop them?  Since everything
gets forwarded to the dev list, IMO JIRA and ReviewBoard are perfectly legitimate tools for
managing  workflows within communities.   We can always suggest changes and simplifications,
or try out new processes and workflows, but forcing a community to operate a specific way
doesn't seem appropriate.

One thing I have seen a few podlings do is add a users mail list that offers a lower barrier
of entry and allows newcomers to gradually become more immersed in the daily operations of
the project.