incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 05:36:23 GMT

On May 23, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Ralph Goers
> <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> Right after I read Jukka's email that started this thread and I posted my reply and
discovered to my shock that they had started a graduation vote.  I am shocked because I have
pointed out repeatedly the project's complete lack of diversity.  Virtually all the active
PMC members and committers work for the same employer.  I have told them several times that
I would actually like to participate in the project but the way the project works is very
different then every other project I am involved with at the ASF and the barriers to figure
out what is actually going on is very high. Almost nothing is discussed directly on the dev
list - it is all done through Jira issues or the Review tool.  While all the Jira issue updates
and reviews are sent to the dev list most of that is just noise.  Feel free to review the
dev list archives to see what I am talking about.

> I don't follow flume, but I'd propose to soften your objection only
> slightly. I've met other groups of people who like a JIRA centric view
> of the world. I suspect that if they did a bunch of other good things
> called out below, you or others would find the JIRA business
> digestible. Also, on the other hand, I fear that the co-employed
> contributors are collaborating in the hallway, and the lack of the
> context in JIRA or on the list is contributing to the problem.

I have reason to doubt the collaboration in the hallway aspect and I certainly do not doubt
everyone's good intent.  I'm not objecting to the collaboration style as an issue preventing
graduation. I'm just saying I find it difficult to participate with that style and that simply
makes me wonder if that is making it harder to attract new committers.  I fully realize that
that issue might just be with me, but the fact remains that there is practically no diversity
in the project and I cannot in good conscience recommend graduation for a project in that
situation.

Ralph

>> Needless to say, when the graduation proposal reaches this list, and I'm sure it
will, I will strongly endorse the IPMC to reject the proposal.