incubator-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Airavata 0.2-Incubating RC5
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:25:23 GMT
Hi Ate,

On Apr 25, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Ate Douma wrote:

> I've reviewed this SNAPSHOT release candidate primarily on compliance and completeness
of the L&N files as requested.

> One other thing I noticed: the README points to http://www.airavata.org
>
> Seems like the www.airavata.org domain is under control of this project as it does renders
as a frameset pointing to the official airavata incubator site.
> I'm curious what the ASF policy is on such separate project related domains? And especially
with respect to ownership/control of it. Who actually does own this domain? Should this be
a concern to the ASF?

The readme is now fixed with the right url. The domain registration could be a larger issue,
but FYI, I have registered it after Airavata was accepted into incubator and pointed to the
incubator website. Should we take this part of discussion to legal? trademarks?

> Now concerning the -src and -bin release candidates and the L&N files, I think this
has been greatly improved since the last candidate.
> Kudos everyone who helped with this: quite a lot of work!
>
> But I can't help it to point out a few remaining quirks :)
>
> * source NOTICE and LICENSE file seem fine by me ;)
>
> * binary LICENSE file
> - it contains some duplications of the same (set of) licenses, I think starting on line
# 2085: "APACHE JACKRABBIT SUBCOMPONENTS"
> Actually that part which follows and which possible has been copied from a Jackrabbit
provided LICENSE file is a bit more nicely formatted (e.g. like for the javax.jcr part).
> - I haven't checked if *every* bundled jar is now properly covered in the LICENSE file
(where applicable) but with the size (2k+ lines) and coverage of the LICENSE file I kind of
now 'trust' they are ;)

The duplicates are now removed with commit - r1330636

> * binary NOTICE file
> - I think there are some unneeded/unwanted entries still. Some notices and copyright
statements should not legally be needed nor are they requested.
> For instance for BSD/MIT like licenses which already are provided for verbatim in the
LICENSE file itself, there is no need to (and thus should not) be covered *also* in the NOTICE
file. Having those in the LICENSE file should be enough. And certainly so if the 3rd party
artifact doesn't have or require an explicit NOTICE file itself. I think this applies to the
NOTICE entries for SLF4J, DOM4J, ICU4J, Jettison, etc. Please do check if each of these notices
really are necessary/required.

The unnecessary notices are now removed with commit - r1330639

> - A different thing is the NOTICE provided for commons-logging (1.1.1).
> The commons-logging jar come with a NOTICE file of its own (being an ASF release it should).
But IMO the additional content copied verbatim from that NOTICE file can be ignored and thus
removed. It concerns the following section:

>  This product includes/uses software(s) developed by 'an unknown organization'
>  - Unnamed - avalon-framework:avalon-framework:jar:4.1.3
>  - Unnamed - log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.12
>  - Unnamed - logkit:logkit:jar:1.0.1
>
> Only log4j is actually bundled with airavata and as an ASF artifact doesn't need extra
NOTICE coverage. And as the other referenced artifacts aren't included or used there is no
need to 'honor' this part from the common-logging NOTICE file.
> The ASL 2.0 license sections 4.d) says: "[...], excluding those notices that do not pertain
to any part of the Derivative Works."

Removed this notice with commit - r1330640

> Another thing I noticed in the binary distribution: some of the samples included come
with both src and (maven build) target folders, for example the /samples/complex-math-service
as well as a few others.
> You might consider cleaning this up a bit further.

Changing builds might require revisit the packaging and simple startup and tutorial instructions.
I will leave this one in for now and will raise a jira to address before next release.

> In addition, those samples modules also have additional NOTICE and LICENSE files in their
src/main/resources folders, but AFAIK these are not or no longer used/bundled in the build
artifact. Possibly outdated/leftover?

Removed with commit -r1330641

> IMO none of the above really are release blockers, so my overall impression: awesome
work guys!

Many thanks Ate for hanging on with us as we addressed these and many more in the previous
RC's. If the pre-requisists are met, I may now want to go to take the cyber-law courses :)

Will prepare for a vote thread in the dev list.

Cheers,
Suresh